Tuesday, June 19, 2012

The Future of Us
By Jay Asher & Carolyn Mackler

2.5 out of 5

The year is 1996, and Emma Nelson just got her first computer. With her best friend Josh Templeton, she turns it on for the first time and discovers an amazing website: Facebook! This mysterious web page seems to be about Emma, 15 years in the future! As Emma discovers more about her and Josh's futures, she realizes that she is not happy in the future. Emma wants to make changes to her life, but Josh doesn't think that it is a good idea. But what if just discovering website has changed their futures. As Emma and Josh struggle with this new source of information, they must make decisions about their lives that effect not only their reality, but their entire future.

This book was ok. I read Thirteen Reasons Why, and loved it so that's why I was interested in other Jay Asher novels. However, I didn't think this one was as good. For the first 300 pages, I find Emma to be a whiny bitch, who does as she pleases without thinking about how it will affect others. Emma finally gets her shit together and becomes real just in time for a happy ending, but I still find her  annoying. I found myself relating much more to Josh, who is a conflicted teenage boy with a wide range of emotions and conflicts. What I do love about the book is that it is very 90s. They talk about video recording Seinfeld, and Emma connects to the computer through dial-up. I love the 90s, but the book was just ok. Not bad, but not great.

No comments:

Post a Comment