Tuesday, July 24, 2012

The Fault in Our Stars
By John Green

6 out of 5

Sixteen year old Hazel is a cancer survivor, who attends weeky support group meetings at her local church. It is there where she meets Augustus Waters. Tall, strong, charismatic and exuding health, Augustus is the kind of unatainable boy Hazel had never even thought about. But clearly Augustus has other intentions. So begins a romance, but will it last? Is two cancer survivors dating really a good idea? And what will happen if the cancer returns?

My first thoughts about this book were, "Augustus Waters is such an amazing, perfect character, it is such a shame that he has to die". Mind you, this thought came about on page 20. I will not tell you if my original thoughts came true or not, but I will tell you that I cried.  I love this book. This is the best book John Green has written to date, and I kiss the air this book breathes and I kneel before it in exhultation. I adore everything about this book. I love the story, I love the banter, I love the fact that Augustus calls her Hazel Grace, I love it. I love the fact that it is not a cancer book, and that it does not end in the middle of a sentence. This has become my favorite book, and the only bad thing about it is that it so sad, you don't want to read it. You want to drag out the happy parts, knowing that the sad parts are coming, but denying them the moment of pure writing genious.

No comments:

Post a Comment