Sunday, October 7, 2012

Code Name Verity
By Elizabeth Wein

5 out of 5

Enter occupied France in the midst of World War II. A British female wireless operator--her code name Verity--has been captured by the Nazis and is being held in a prison of sorts. After being tortured for two long weeks, she finally gives in and says that she will tell them everything she knows, all she needs is an endless supply of paper and ink. With these materials, she tells the story of her and her best friend, Mary, all the way up to how the ended up emergency evacuating their plane over Nazi France.

I loved this book. It was fabulous. I have always been interested in World War II, it was my favorite part of history class, and I really liked the insight on a prisoner of war who knew that she was going to die, but still put on a brave a face as she could. I loved Verity's personality and attitude, even during her weakest moments. I loved her stubbornness that she is Scottish NOT British. My favorite character is Jamie, though his role in the story is minimal. That doesn't mean that I don't love Verity and Mary just as well. After all they make a sensational team. As does this book, sensational.

No comments:

Post a Comment