Saturday, November 9, 2013

Les Miserables
By Victor Hugo

4 out of 5

The classic novel about the unfortunate life of Jean Valjean and the people he meets along the way. The stories of Fantine, Cosette, Marius, the Bishop, Javert, and the Thernardiers are all tangled together in this story, and it is a story full of pain, love, and self sacrifice.

Finally!! After almost an entire year, I have conquered the mountain that is Les Mis. While I don't regret reading it at all, I do regret how long it took me to finish it! I thought about giving up multiple times--100 pages about the Battle of Waterl00--but I am so glad that I didn't. The story of Les Mis was one that I enjoyed and I am proud to say that I have read every single word.

I really like the idea of reading "classics", and so I think that, every summer, I am going to choose a classic to read. This will be a way of broadening my reading horizons, and also getting to learn about what makes a classic, a classic. I hope I can follow through on this goal, and I will revisit the world of classic literature next June when I get out of school.

No comments:

Post a Comment