Monday, September 3, 2012

Where She Went
By Gayle Forman

4 out of 5

It has been three years since Mia Hall woke up from her coma to find that the rest of her family had died in the car crash that almost took her life. In those three years, Mia and Adam Wilde broke up, and went their separate ways. Adam, to become a emo-punk rock god, and Mia to become a celebrated cellist. This book, told from Adam's point of view--which shows Adam's world, and the self-made struggles of isolation and anger that Adam has to deal with--tells the tale of one night, where Mia and Adam are reunited, and the hidden pain that they both buried, resurfaces in hopes of closure. Will they get what they want? Or will things be left even more ragged and sharp than they had been?

 This is the sequel to If I Stay. I had read If I Stay maybe two years ago, at most, and really liked it. But being me, I did not immediately go out and find the sequel as I should have. So I spent much of the first few chapters, trying to remember exactly what had happened in If I Stay and whether or not I should be surprised and outraged by the things being mentioned in the book as I read. Having said that, I really love this book. It's funny, and sad, and you can just feel the anger, and frustration, and desperation that Adam feels about his life and his feelings for Mia. The emotions really make the story, because everyone has felt some range of everything Adam is feeling. I enjoyed the story, but was a little disappointed by the ending. I'm hoping another one comes out, so that I have some closure for the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment